Print Setups for a model's model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print Setups for a model's model

Hi folks! I found via a request for a 3DPrinted trophy model, that when downscaling from a 2 meter wing, with a "zero" trailing edge, I need to thicken the airfoil sections a bit. On the original downscaled, unsplit file for my Makerbot 2X, (scaled @ 1/10) I found due to undercambers etc, I couldn't move faces, thicken the solids, so I'm kinda starting over within the fullsize print, I'm going with 1/8", as that works out to connections for a 1 shell model here's some pics
    mostly fuzzy! mostly intact on this view! and now, I'll go with this 1/8" thickerer! :D

Hi!

It doesn´t works like that. You can start by downloading one of my models at thingiverse and look at the stl files.

For a simple and small model you might get away without inner structure but you must design the models in 3d and you must slice them in a way you can print them.

Keep trying and posting and I´ll guide you.

Fred

Comment

Thanks Fred! I'll take a look! My biggest hassle is with the (very) old makerbotversion of the slicer, the giheral ngles, and settingup with a sparline for splitting, as I don't trust makerware's support structures to break free easily

Comment

I have never used Makerbot printers but if it accepts gcode then you should get simplify3d, for model airplanes and single wall printing it´s the best. Or you can just try some other slicer like Cura or even Slic3r

To split the stl files that you export from the 3d cad you can use autodesk meshmixer or even fusion360, the export them as separate parts for the slicer.

Comment

I guess the guys @ Google groups got the makerware to take with Simplify, (the Sailfish and original makerware programmers) I just get so distracted ( haven't turned the printer on all winter) I keep forgetting to purchase! Prusa is my next machine- I think- I'll get on the list anyway! I dloaded the BD5, you did a great job on the remix!
          Now the big issue I have is the final scaling, as I had so much edge breakdown @ the trailing edge, that the distortions were preety extreme- but I did find, that makerware will show me "reality" within it's course viewing capabilities here's a shot with the added TE material, of 1 shell, which gave the (red) results..............

Comment

That iz one saweet Interface! Thanks fer update! The big item on my scaling, is that the trophies are to be 6-9" span! a 3 1/2" long fuse ain't big enough!

Comment

The interface is octoprint. Very useful.

What are the trophies? You have to scale your objects on the slicer.

Comment

yes, final scaling is done with makerware, my TCP has printing setups within it ( yes, Fusion is gorgeous too, but haven't used it in 3 years) My primary scaling is 1/8 of 2 meter to start......

Comment

Working...
                X