Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1935 Curtiss Condor, from static model plans, 200%, converted to electric RC ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the extent of the damage; not really as bad as the 'crunch' sound it made had me believe. Not good, obviously, but not matchwood, either. The port motor cowling simply slides off, after removing the prop, to reveal a clean break at all four glue points of the motor mount disk...

It could be simply glued back in place (it was Titebond; I'd use the same...), but I may also try to 'print' a motor mount to be glued/screwed to the next disk along, as an experiment. Not too bad, then, as long as I'm careful with the alignment (which, in truth, was 'eyeballed', anyway...).

More surprising was the clean break of the balsa battery support. Made in the form of a longish 'U', to straddle the wiring and servos that are further aft, the Lipo has a Velcro 'belt', which clings to a matching Velcro patch on this support. In that fashion, the Lipo could be stuck in the position required for balance. This support has been snapped away from its 'legs'; it's the balsa that's sheared along its length, not the glue joint breaking. Easy enough to replace, by glueing another piece on top of the structure remaining, but maybe light ply would be a better bet next time..? For the photo, I've put this piece roughly back where it was, but at an angle...

The Upper wing is (was..?) fixed to the 'plane by the outer struts and a pair of short central struts, using M2 screws and lock-nuts into ply tabs glued to the reinforced ribs. As there are no ribs in the fuselage, a balsa block glued to the upper cabin area has the slots for these central tabs. These have been completely snapped off or torn out, taking a bit of covering with them. The slots can be seen on the left of the hole in the film...

... and the tabs in the centre of the wing held, but the strut itself snapped...

This is how the outer wing tabs look normally; this wing escapes pretty much unscather...

This is the other wing, with the tabs sheared off or pulled out...

The 'N' struts were merely decorative, and simply hot-glued in place, so putting them back will not pose any great problem...

That's all, folks; nothing that can't be patched up, but I'm already thinking about how to improve some aspects. There is a certain lesson to be learned here about not building stuff too soldily. There were weak points in the concept of my Build, and it's these weak points that have busted, perhapps saving the rest of the 'plane from more damage still. It has to be strong enough to fly safely, but it's not a bad idea to have 'fuse-blowing' points in case of incidents. The old rubber-band wing strapping was such a 'feature', and I'm trying to think of a way of attaching this upper wing in such a fashion, instead of the very delicate tabs and struts I'd adopted. I'd like to imagine a system a bit more like a pylon-mounted wing, with a central column, spreading out to each side, then with a fore and aft wing attachment, maybe using piano wire for the whole thing. The struts would remain, of course, but in a non-functional, decorative role instead. I will be able to use my 'tab' system again if I can think of nothing better, but it is delicate in setting up, to get the wings to line up properly and securely.
    No other major issues, then, so I'll keep her in the 'sick bay' for now, hoping to get her back in the air without too long a delay. My own fault, of course; if I didn't insist on trying to fly 'em, they'd be less repairs to do..!
    As for dihedral : there is dihedral in the lower wing; not as much as a cabin-type trainer, but hopefully enough for flight in calm conditions. I had considered adding aileron control, but in the end thought it not necessary, as, for one, it's not destined to fly much more than once or twice around the park, in as sedate a manner as possible, and secondly, I can't (yet...) fly 3-axe 'planes..! I've an aileron trainer (the Svenson Prima...) and an EPO Bixler (which crashed the other day, too...) for learnig on, and hope to be able to control such 'planes before finishing my Aeromaster, which will require such skills, but I can manage to potter around the sky gently with a 2-axe 'plane if conditions are very calm. The Condor would not be a candidate for barrel rolls in any configuration that I could build, so it's rudder/elevator/throttle only, for good or ill. Too much elevator..? Possibly; I'll get her into the air first, though, before deciding if further mods are required.

Comment

Working...
    X