Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou Andrews Aeromaster Too, from AAMCO kit, built for electric ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am enjoying your build thread. A number of years ago now one of my best friends passed and I inherited a couple of his planes which I presumed he was going to rebuild someday. One was an Aeromaster (perhaps a Too). I first powered it with an HB .61PDP, but it was way too wild for me. An HB .40PDP was a much better match. Look to 3-point landings (lower air speed) as it really likes to tip over. I feel honored that I was able to bring it back to the air. Also, if you ever lose the top wing with, do not fret! It just becomes a monoplane and the cast off wing will likely land with no damage! tried to upload pics, but no dice for some reason.
    Last edited by DLG1951; 10-29-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DLG1951 View Post
      I am enjoying your build thread...
      Thanks for the encouragement, it really does help. I've a way to go yet before maiden flight (that'll be the privilege of my tame test pilot at out club...), but I take note of your observations and experience. I've heard stories of 'monoplane' landings; I hope to not have to add to them..! On with the build...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Anderson View Post
        ...Can you tell me what combination you are using on your Aeromaster?...
        Good evening, Jim...

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. Here's the full spec. of what I'm building into my Aeromaster. It's a bit long, though..!

Propeller
        13x7 Wood prop
        --------------------------------
        Turnigy AeroDrive SK4240-750 Brushless Outrunner 750kv
        €33.34
        Specifications:
        Turns: 10T
        Voltage: 4~5S Lipoly
        RPM/V: 750KV
        Internal resistance: 0.013 Ohm
        Pole Count: 12
        Max Loading: 50A
        Max Power: 870W
        Shaft Dia: 5.0mm
        Bolt holes: 25mm
        Bolt thread: M3
        Weight: 195g
        Motor Plug: 3.5mm Bullet Connector
        Lipo...
        €23.20
        Rhino 1750mAh 4S 14.8v 20C Lipoly Pack
        Ref: R1750-20-4
        Plug: XT60
        Balance Plug: JST-XH
        ESC...
        $21.99
        Hobbywing Skywalker 60A-UBec
        2-6 Lipo
        BEC 5v@5A
        Rx...
        $8.05
        FlySky FS-R6B
        Item Name: FS-R6B Receiver
        Brand Name: Flysky
        100% Brand New
        Channels: 6 Channels
        Model type: heli/airplane
        RF power: less than 20DBm
        modulation: GFSK
        Code type: PCM
        Senditivity: 1024
        Low voltage warning: LED
        Charger port: yes
        ANT length: 26mm
        Frequency: 2.4G
        Power: 5V DC(1.5V AAA*4)
        weight: 25g
        size: 30*25*8mm
        Certificate: CE,FCC,RoHS
        Rudder...
        €2.77
        HobbyKing™ 928BB Servo 2.0kg / 0.13sec / 9g
        Specs:
        Model: HK-CS928BB
        Operating Voltage: 4.8V / 6.0V
        Operating Current: 200mA / 240mA
        Operating Speed: 0.14sec.60º/ 0.13sec.60º
        Stall Torque: 1.8kg.cm / 2.0kg.cm
        Size: 22.5X11.5X24.6mm(0.88"x0.45"x0.96")
        Weight: 9g
        Dead Band: ≤5uSec
        Operating Travel: 40º/one side pulse traveling 400us
        Potentiometer: 2 slider/Direct Drive
        Ball bearing: MR85
        Gear: Plastic
        Type: Analogue
        Motor: Coreless
        Connector wire: 215mm
        Operating Temperature Range: -20J+60J
        Spline count: 21
        Elevator...
        €2.77
        HobbyKing™ 928BB Servo 2.0kg / 0.13sec / 9g
        Specs:
        Model: HK-CS928BB
        Operating Voltage: 4.8V / 6.0V
        Operating Current: 200mA / 240mA
        Operating Speed: 0.14sec.60º/ 0.13sec.60º
        Stall Torque: 1.8kg.cm / 2.0kg.cm
        Size: 22.5X11.5X24.6mm(0.88"x0.45"x0.96")
        Weight: 9g
        Dead Band: ≤5uSec
        Operating Travel: 40º/one side pulse traveling 400us
        Potentiometer: 2 slider/Direct Drive
        Ball bearing: MR85
        Gear: Plastic
        Type: Analogue
        Connector wire: 215mm
        Operating Temperature Range: -20J+60J
        Spline count: 21
        Ailerons...
        €8.99
        A2Pro: PTK 7350 MG-D Digital
        Weight without cord: 5.7g
        Dimensions: 19.9 x 23.9 x 8.2 mm
        Speed/Torque@ 4,8V: 0.63kg/cm - 0.09 sec/60°
        Speed/Torque@ 6V: 0.83kg/cm - 0.071 sec/60°
        Gears: Metal
        Operating Voltage: 4.8V - 6V
        Cordon / Lead: 200mm
        Dead band: 5μs
        Electric Precision: 2.5μs

There, now you have it all..! Flight testing could bring changes, and I'm not looking for full aerobatic performance with this configuration, but I hope it will at least get her off the ground and back down safely.
        Hope this helps; meanwhile...

Have a nice day

Douglas

Comment

Just a 'quickie'...
          Now that the lower wing is sheeted, it's time to remember to be able to install the servo wires. To this end, a plumb-bob (lead shot on a length of cobbler's thread, seen in the photo...) was lowered through the passage inside the wing, and the thread looped and tied...

It'll be used to pull through the servo wires once the covering is completed.
          S'all for now; covering in progress, but Condor being advanced as well. To be continued...

Comment

It's been a bit over two months, now, but I put the Aeromaster back on the bench, to take up where I left off for other stuff. Initially to mark out the positioning of the wing struts, which carried over to cutting the struts themselves (3mm dowel...) and the aluminium tubes into which they'll slide. These are non-structural struts, but the 'plane seems incomplete to my eyes without them. I took the opportunity to sand back a few small spots of filler I'd applied at my last session, too. After two months, it should be hardened..!
            Now that she's on the bench, and going over the plans once more, I decided to grit my teeth and bite the bullet. I've been dreading this since I started, but it has to be done, so why not now..? Yes, it's that awful task: cutting out the ailerons. Did I enjoy it..? I did not..! Before sheeting the wings, I'd carefully left tell-tale signs to indicate exactly where the slicing should take place. I nevertheless measured up from the plans again, to confirm precisely where to apply the knife. Difficult to use a rule, or straight edge, but I marked out in pencil, then took the saw and cut the ends. For the cut along the length, a simple n°11 blade was used, to follow my tracing, by hand, trying to 'feel' the (hopefully...) empty space beneath the blade. It didn't go quite as I'd expected, and I had to resort to a keyhole saw to finish off, which worked, but revealed a 2mm error in my lines. No lasting harm, thankfully, but the cut was very ragged, more like butchery than fine art..! Lesson learned for the second aileron, though, which I was able to slice away with little effort, in a much cleaner fashion. Here's the pair of 'em, the rough'un first...

It's done, and so I can carry on with preparing the wings for covering. It's still darned cold at the bench, but if I do short spells, I can get it done over the next few days, I hope. More to finish on the fuselage, of course, including the undercarriage and the final fitting of the upper wing to the cabane, but there's no more major structural stuff to do. Back later, then...

Comment

I had covered the empennage quite a while back, then discovered that I didn't have enough transparent orange Oracover for the rest of the 'plane. I do have orange HK Chinakote, but it's not orange at all, it's yellow. Here's the empennage ...

... and in the background here can be seen the HK 'orange'...

I decided today that I would not be happy with the mis-matched colours, so I've ordered a few rolls of the Oracover orange, and I stripped off the HK 'orange'/yellow. T'wouldn't be so bad if I'd started off with the HK stuff, and I'm certainly not going to strip off the orange from the empennage, but I hadn't done more than a couple of panels on the upper wing, so it's no big deal to change now, before committing more. The fresh rolls should arrive tomorrow or the next day; I'll continue covering when they're here.
              Meanwhile I've the ailerons and upper wing to trim, then cover, and see about hinging. Snow all day (no, nothing like the US dose, but it's darned chilly just the same. Here's a photo from our front door taken this morning...)...

Doing much at all in my unheated 'den' is more than difficult, so my 'productivity' is low right now. T'will improve, hopefully, once this cold snap has passed. Till then, it's little odds and ends, really...

Comment

Not much done today, just glued up the misplaced cut I'd inflicted on one of the ailerons whilst cutting it from the wing. Here they both are, one acting as clamp support, to prevent them from sliding off...

I'll collect my rolls of orange film tomorrow and continue the wing covering. S'all for this evening.

Comment

Not well (again..!), so slow going, I'm afraid. Not quite so chilly today, so I forced myself into gear and managed to apply the orange film on both wings. Tomorrow (I hope...), the ailerons and the rest of the film for the wings, then I'll turn my attention to the fuselage again. Better not anticipate too far ahead, though. Meanwhile, here's what she's starting to look like ...

Comment

The ailerons are now covered; first, the ends ...

... then the rest, wrapped around in one piece...

One may also see the beginning of the next stage in the covering of the lower wing, with the 'rounded' corners put in place, ready for the white film to go on. Tomorrow, probably...

Comment

The upper wing, now completely covered; the underside ...

... and the topside...

The lower wing has been started, but I'm tired now, so I'll carry on tomorrow.

Comment

And now the lower wing is covered ...

There is a bit of trimming to do around the wing servos, but that'll wait till tomorrow. Much more important is the mandatory 'see what it'll look like' dummy assembly...

Coming along, then, and one more task is done. That's the trouble with biplanes: double the wings to work on.
                        I'll trim the servo hatches, of course (and may even try to 'print' a pair of covers for 'em...), then get back the where I was with the fuselage. With the wings finished, I can finalise the cabane fit, which will involve a little more soldering, and, whilst I'm equipped for that, assemble the undercarriage. I've some trimming to do around the nose (Should I make a cowling ..? Probably...), fit the servos, then think about covering. I may innovate there, if I'm feeling lucky, or adopt the more simple decor of my previous 'planes. There's also the installation of the motor, battery etc and seeing how I'm doing for weight, and C of G, of course. Still a way to go, but the end of the tunnel is now almost visible, so...
                        Onward and upards..!

Comment

Working...
                        X