Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou Andrews Aeromaster Too, from AAMCO kit, built for electric ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the rugby this afternoon, then went up to the 'workshop'; when I came down, it was 10 o'clock..! Time flies..!
    A bit fiddly at times, but it all went off rather smoothly, all things considered. I used the 'plane as a guarantee of good fitting for the first 'tack' solder joints...

... and my loyal friend, Henry The Helping Hand did his usual stirling job ...

...which gave the following result ...

... and fits nicely ...

All that's left is the lateral wing supports on the cabane, so, while the Big Iron is hot...

... on they go; here the cabane is finished...

I say 'finished', as I'm going to have to forego the diagonal cross braces, as these would impede removal of the access hatch for maintenance. I'll just have to hope that the present structure is sufficiently rigid without them. I'll not be likely to be pushing the 'plane to the same extremes, perhaps, as the original designer catered for; it all seems pretty darned solid as it is.

Comment

OK, this is what I'll go for, using blocks to build an over-massive cowl, to be shaped, then cut away and stuck back on with silicon or similar. I've suitable wood for that; here's my usual 'dry run' to see what it might become ...

... and here's the first few 'staves' being glued in. They're only glued to the forward arch, not the rear, and, of course, to each other. I didn't think I could do it, but it was easier than I thought to give the staves a taper, the better to fit together...

The next piece to be worked on can vbe seen in the vice, awaiting planing, using the 3D-printed plane that was made for me, and my wood and brass tiny block plane. It's rough'n'ready, and a bit painstaking, but the whole arch is now glued in place. I'll do the same for the forward part, then see about shaping it all up into something a little bit more streamined. It's looking more promising now that it was last week..!
      More tomorrow, probably...

Comment

The fore pieces are glued up and clamped...

... which gives this result ...

I'll let the Titebond harden until tomorrow, then see what a session of sanding can do. Fingers crossed that it's all worthwhile..!
        Meanwhile, on with the Kirby ...

Comment

First session of sanding, to get the basic shape in place, using my mini-drill with coarse sanding drum and my oscillating sander, which has a finer grit...

A bit more blending to do, but it's getting there ...

The nasal disk is held on by pegs; they've now been glued in and are setting. The disk will particape in the final shaping, once the Titebond has done its work.

Comment

A bit more sanding, then I'll get on with covering, I think...

Comment

And what do we do next, once the cowl has been formed..?

Why, we cut it off, of course..!

No, it's not by dissatisfaction, nor to spite my face, it's simply that I need access in there to mount the motor. I tried going through the front, but it's far too awkward for my sausage fingers. It'll be stuck back on, probably with silicon, as has been suggested. I shouldn't need access often, hopefully...

Comment

Finally got around to making filler slivers for the cowl. I have to be very careful, handling such small pieces and whittling with a sharp blade. Final fit by sanding, naturally...

Once set, there'll be another 'rounding off' session. I may well peg the cowl in place, I've not decided yet which is the best method. Once that's done, by hook or by crook, it'll be covering time for the fuselage.

Comment

Before covering, I have to sort out the electronics; might as well take the plunge and fit the gear in, then it'll be done, won't it..? Here, the motor has been bolted in, and the ESC attached in the space behind...

I like to use an 'arming plug', to be able to quickly connect and disconnect without having to access the battery. It's been let into the port side ...

... and the Lipo XT60 has been threaded through the bottom panel to the cavity below, where the Lipo is lodged...

I've had to choose a battery narrow enough to not interfere with the fitting of the lower wing, but this arrangement allows installing the battery, then fitting the wing beforehand, thanks to the arming plug. It also has the great advantage of providing plenty of scope for moving the battery fore or aft to get optimum balance; a feat not easy with the positioning I'd chosen for the servos in the upper compartment. I had pre-balanced the 'plane to get some idea of the range of adjustment required, and, by the happiest of coincidences, the Lipo is nicely ensconced just below the C of G when the 'plane is level. Fine tuning will come once all is built, of course, but there's quite a margin to play with, hopefully.
                  Next step should be covering the fuselage, I think, then adding the empennage. I'll have to install the control tubes, too. Off then, to do just that..!

Comment

Not easy to see (I'm not good at detail photos of the sort...), but inside there is the Gorilla Glue, applied to the control wire tubes, locking them in place...

I took a picture of the result once the glue had bubbled up and set, but it's too poor to be worth posting.
                    Never mind; that's the last task preventing me from covering. The underside is now done...

I'll possibly get the flanks done this evening. I hope I have enough film left on the roll..!

Comment

One side covered ...

... and t'other ...

Still the turtle deck, but after a cup of tea, now...

Comment

And that's the turtle-deck done ...

Comment

Preparation for a flash of colour on the flanks. I've cut two strips of Transparent Orange, and taped them to the bench, back to back, with a hand-drawn 'template' over the pair. Not easy to photograph, but ...

Cutting through the films produced a pair of flashes, mirror-imaged, one for each side. All that was left was to carefully iron them on ...

It sounds simple enough, described in two lines, and, indeed, all went rather more smoothly that I had anticipated, except for one detail I'd not thought of. Applying a transparent film over an opaque one introduces bubbles trapped between the films, which, owing to the transparence, give an almost fetching 'leopard skin' effect. Almost fetching, but not enough to want to adopt the effect, really, so I spent more time than all of the preceding operations with a pin, my heat-gun and a kitchen-roll swab, pricking at least the biggest of the bubbles and wiping 'em down. Burnt fingers (well not exactly, but well toasted..!); there remain small blotches, but I don't think they'll be too flagrant once the 'plane is airborne, so they'll stay.
                          Pleased with the result, enough to envisage fixing the empennage as a next step.
                          Onward and upward..!

Comment

• COCHISE99
                            COCHISE99 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Marvelous job.......

The tailplane has been glued on. For this, the lower wing must be in place, and for that I needed to pierce the covering and thread through the wing retention dowels (they're still not glued in, though...). Assisted by Our Eldest, the level was adjusted; a 1mm shim glued onto the starboard side of the tailplane platform. A dry run, to cobble up a clamping system (yes, the lump hammer plays its part, of course...), a final check that all is level and in place; she'll stay like that overnight while the Titebond sets ...

Tomorrow it's the turn of the fin...

Comment

Tailfin time. It slots in perfectly firmly, and both straight and square, but I propped the set-squares each side, just in case (a slight knock, a sudden breeze, whatever...)...

Out of sight, but playing an important role just the same, is the lump hammer, keeping the 'plane from rocking. Good tools, lump hammers.
                            Several hours later, the Titebond has set, so, with a sort of 'belt and braces' mentality, I glue triangle stock each side of the fin...

I'll fit the control horns next, then adjust the servo runs. I'll then have to turn to another task I've been putting off, namely, the hinging of the ailerons. A dummy run or so, to get the hang of it, then I'll plunge, promise. Maybe tomorrow..? Maybe...

Comment

Fairings are done, and are not too bad, if one isn't too close (but if that close, there's many more 'issues' that become apparent..!). Here they are...

A mad rush of energy prods me on to fit the control horns for the empennage; the control wires I've fitted are not going to bust any time soon. They're braided steel; I had to resort to a big pair of tin-snips to cut 'em to length..Then followed the tail wheel, and the undercarriage. A 'teaser' photoshoot seemed to be in order, so I've dressed her up with both wings, wheels (I've no 4mm wheel collars; I'll have to order some, unless I think of a simple alternative...) and a prop. I don't know if it's the prop she'll fly with, but it was the only one I have for an 8mm shaft. Any suggestions from those flying electric would be welcome. The motor is a Turnigy AeroDrive SK4240-750, that prop is a beech 13x7. Suitable or not..?
                              But 'Enough..!' I hear you cry 'Where's the bloomin' pictures..?' OK, OK; calm down; they're here...

To be continued ...

Comment

• COCHISE99
                                COCHISE99 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Beautiful........
                            Working...
                            X