87% Electric Duellist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87% Electric Duellist

This plane will be an electric-powered Pica Duellist ( https://aerofred.com/details.php?ima...35&mode=search) scaled to 87% of original size. Power will be 2 NTM pylon motors on 4S, 5000mA h batteries(1 per motor,) using 100 amp Red Brick ESC's

2 copies of the plans were printed. One as normal and one to be cut up for templates.

One copy of each fuselage former is printed out and cut to form. It is then tack-glued to 3/32" balsa, using 3M #77. The formers are then cut out.
    Former templates cut out. Tacked to 3/32" balsa Formers at out & numbered.  Don't forget to mark the centerline at the bottom, where it attaches to the fuselage crutch.
    Last edited by JVESPER11; 10-03-2018, 02:51 AM.

More work on the fuselage. The 3/32" balsa specified in the plans proved to be a little insubstantial for the formers. I'll use 1/4", if I ever do another

Comment

Top of the fuselage complete. Time to remove the crutch.

Comment

Construction now at a dead stop. I was going to use some years-old mechanical retracts, but when I took the nose gear out, the steering arm broke off. Now waiting on a set of retracts.

Comment

Very nice build. I´m following your

This is the plan you are using right?
          https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=80880

Scaled down to 87%

Would you please add the link to the first post? I´ll add this build log to the listing too.

Cheers,
          Fred

Comment

Hello! What servo you use in mechanical retracts?
          Very good work in balsa!
          best regards!
          André.

Comment

Originally posted by André View Post
            Hello! What servo you use in mechanical retracts?
            Very good work in balsa!
            best regards!
            André.
            The ones I have (had) do quite well one standard servos.

Comment

While waiting for new retracts I've set up the servos & pushrods for elevator & rudder.

Comment

While waiting on new electric retracts, doing some work on the rear fuselage. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	3
Size:	783.5 KB
ID:	981

Comment

Who makes a retract nose gear where the steering arm has to pass through the mounting beam, when retracting? The chinese, that's who! There are tapped holes for a mount on the top, but the included mount would not fit, so I built one out of 1/8" ply.

Comment

Now for something to which to mount the nose gear. The structure is pretty insubstantial, and intended for a bulkhead-mounted nose gear, so I put in a 1/4" fly plate, to stiffen things up a bit.

Comment

Fuselage sheeting added, below the lateral longerons.

I was worried as all of my previous fuselages had been box-style, but by gluing the sheet first, to the longerons , working one bay at a time, altenating sides for the entire lenght of the fuselage. Then, starting in the middle of the fuselage, alternating sides, glue the sheeting to the formers and, in the rear to the lower plate.

Comment

Fuselage sheeting added, below the lateral longerons.

I was worried as all of my previous fuselages had been box-style, but by gluing the sheet first, to the longerons , working one bay at a time, altenating sides for the entire lenght of the fuselage. Then, starting in the middle of the fuselage, alternating sides, glue the sheeting to the formers and, in the rear to the lower plate.

Comment

I wanted a rounder fuselage cross-section so I added another 1/4" piece of balsa to the bottom, aft of the wing.

I then rounded the bottom off, even with the sheeting and cut out a hatch, to access the front retracts. The lower front is a piece of 1/4" on each side, with a single piece, full width over. that. The single piece is glued only at the front & back to facilitate removal.

Comment

Before sheeting the upper fuselage, I installed a piece of 1/4" ply to connect the wing mount.

Comment

Working...
                            X