Looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice

I'm seeking a recommendation from the plans in here - can anyone recommend a "floater" - A fairly quick build, simple and *slow* floater to get the hang of. An oldie is fine, I am happy to attempt to convert to electric r/c, and I think I'm probably looking at 1 to 1.5m, either a trainer or a powered glider.

Thanks in advance
    David

Hi there WD and welcome. I am returning to the hobby after many years away and have just got a couple of planes in the air, both electric and glo. Can chat if you are interested, I am on Fbook as Tony Elkin and live in Prague. To make a suggestion in response to your post.... I have currently the KK Super 60, electric powered, nylon and dope covered and maidened her a day or so ago for the first time. Interesting the S60 is a very nice "hybrid" flier. she has ailerons, true, but they dont have to be used immediately, and as there is a slight dihederal can be flown extremely docile on rudder and elevator only. Very straightforward traditional construction in balsa / ply, simple wing with no undercamber and plenty of space in the fuze for batteries et al. if you go electric then I have some advice on battery boxes.. With a glo up front she will perform aerobatics, or with an electric float around the field. Performance is very predictable, and I still have the 20 year old wings from my first one. Ask away of you need to. By the way, on my fbook page is a series of short clips from last evening showing the S60 in flight and landing, you can get an idea of how she looks and performs from that.

Comment

Hi elkiton, than you very much for your response. I took a look at the Super 60, and it's quite a nice looker. What are your thoughts on electric motor / SC / battery combo's (Note I usually get my stuff online from HobbyKing). I'll try to look at you r FB stuff out of office.

Comment

Hi again. I am a bit of a luddite in that I believe in using a big motor, throttled down, and quality iems, ie no cheap stuff so this might seem like overkill, but it means I can use the power train in sizeable planes without running the motors and batteries hot. .

The combo in the S60 is a brushless Hacker A400-10s (750R/volt) with a 60Amp ESC feeding the Rx.as well.
        This will swing a 12 x 6 Master Airscrew prop, none of these silly fragile electric lightweight props, they last for one landing lol
        With 4 cells it drawn 41 Amps on full wack delivering 625 watts thereabouts and is like having a .40 2 stroke up front.

On 3 cells, my normal flight power is more than adequate, and the throttle is usually about 1/2 way for cruising. - this is like having a .4 4 stroke up front.
        FYI The manufacturer says it will go to 14 - 16 inch props and still be within the max ratings.

You could probably power her with a GT 2810-05 on 4 cells comfortably at around 500W

Re batteries, I now use Gens Lipos. 3 cell 3,300 and 4,000mah...and a 4 cell 4,000 which make it over powered by a long way.

FYI I have just destroyed two expensive LIPOS by leaving them fully charged for a month, balooned up before I learned about voltages and 30% storage charges.
        I have also just put telemetry on the Rx (Spektrum DSMX Tx) to measure the on-load LIPO voltage so I can bring her down spot on the time with no damage to the cells.

One thing I found was to stop trying to work out the theoretical loadings on the brushless motors and do it empirically, so I bought a wattmeter and pocket size cell voltage checker.
        Now I treat the Hacker like a .40 motor and slap on whatever prop I think will do, and just check on the wattmeter how much current she draws on full chat...
        This concept works well well for all my motors, I can prop up or down based on power drawn and keep a box of new assorted Master Airscews in all sizes from 7 x 3 up to 14 x 10..

Hope this sort of thing helps.
        PS re battery boxes...through trial and error, I find the best way for a fast change of battery is to build in during construction a vertical battery box with a hatch under the plane, reinforced with 1/32 ply surround onthe balsa, velcro screwed to the box and a neodyminum magnet for a catch. just open up and poke the new one in !...no taking off the wings.

Comment

Working...
        X