• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoodyPhyseter
    started a topic New to everything.

New to everything.

Hello everybody, you can call me Woody.
    So my brother in law bought a beginner RC airplane (an Aeroscout S2) and we've been both having lots of fun with it, so much that I decided to chip in on the price he payed In hopes he'll get another one and give me this one. I kid.
    No, for me I want the satisfaction of building my own airplane. I've always liked planes and wanted to take the tradeschool degree on single engine flying, but the wait list was too long at the time and studied arboriculture. Anyway. So as a hobby, I'm looking for a sturdy, versatile plan that I can build out of balsa wood and sheet it with a light textile or paper material. I have a bit of fabric from a tent that I've made two kites out of, I think that might do for some models.
    I've been wanting to make the ''Woody's Pusher'' because it has that propeller in the back of the wing safe from bad landings and also because the belly of the fuselage looks like it could land well in snow without the landing gear. Since I probably won't be ready to fly my project until winter, I'd like to have a model equipped with skis, or a fat underbelly that can glide on snow.
    I'm not at all familiar with following these old magazine plans and instructions. After reading them, about how the plan can be fidgety about weight, and the fact that the wings and engine are mounted with metal framing I'm thinking maybe it's not the best first model.

I forgot to mention that I'll want to mount an electric motor because of the practicality and simplicity. I'd like to have the wing ailerons (or flaps) in addition to the tail rudder and elevator, thought as I understand, an RC plane can fly fine with just the two tail hinges.

I think the sound that a gas powered RC plane is really nice and I aspire to tune my own and fly it, but as I understand electric motors are much stronger these days and have less weight.

I've been reading alot on this forum and can probably find information on my own.
    But if anybody has any suggestions on a first model that fits my needs (Balsa ski/hydro plane that could weather rough landings) I'd be glad to take advice on which is best and how to follow plans.

thanks, happy flying.

Woody.

• WoodyPhyseter
    replied
    Anyway, here are my favorite ''first plan'' choices from Aerofred, and what's the hesitation about.
    *note that all of these plans are balanced for gas motors and don't have compartment specifically for a bigger battery...

Volmer Vj-22 :
    Pros: -Upper mounted engine, possibility of making a pusher
    -Easy hydroplane / ski capability
    Cons:
    -I'm not confident about over-wing mounted engines strength as a first project.
    -Wings are fixated with the help of braces/struts (not sure what to call them and this also makes the assembly and strength more susceptible to human error.

Aquasport:
    Pros: -Looks very simple, inspires confidence
    -being a hydroplane, the propeller feels protected from bad landings
    -Ruberband mounted wings makes transport safer and easily inspected and maintained
    -comes with water landing gear
    -only has tail rudder and elevator
    Cons:
    -I have no idea how water skis deal with snow
    -dihedral on the plan says to use wire, and I'm not sure how that works.
    -only has tail rudder and elevator. see what I did there?

Breguet Br-790:
    pros:
    -Pretty awesome looking
    cons:
    -Out of my capabilities, for now. enough said.

DQA:
    Pros:
    -simple design
    -wings can be sheathed with paper
    -rubber band tied wings
    -Dihedral seems pretty straightfoward (lift and sand, then glue)
    Cons:
    -front mounted engine and propeller (I'd have to break that on a first landing)
    -seems like the the whole is bulky and doubt the tails ability to maneuver
    -Landing gear adapted for flat road
    -Only tail rudder and elevator.

Fairchild pt-19:
    Pros:
    -looks really cool
    -Can be completely sheathed with paper or shrink-wrap
    -Looks like a really fun challenge
    -NO ailerons
    cons:
    -Low wing full cantilever seems tricky
    -the wings have 8 different sizes of ribs...
    -I don't know how to bypass the cockpit and make things simpler

Fudpucker Phantom:
    Pros:
    -looks like a good flyer, easy to control.
    -wings are straight forward
    Cons:
    - has basically has every issue I have with the other planes

Grumman Widgeon
    Pros:
    -Beautiful airship
    -really fun challenge
    -can definitely land on snow
    Cons:
    -Has two engines
    -still has braces holding the wings
    -complex and elaborate

Stik 100
    Pros:
    -Simple design
    -Has ailerons
    Cons:
    - not sure how to fit battery
    -plan doesn't mention engine angle...
    -do I really need to make all those dovetail joinery? or this that just from the store-bought kit?

Tycho 400
    Pros:
    -Big, sturdy, lots of place for good battery
    -broad wingspan and fat underbelly for snow gliding, maybe even hydroplaning
    -Dihedral out of wood jig seems simple and effective
    -Single wheel landing gear looks easy to achieve
    -the separate frame to the outer keel seems interesting and adaptable
    Cons:
    -Tail wings seem oddly low for takeoffs without landing gear
    -Wings hold with nylon bolts, As I understand, this is for breakage of weakest point.
    -Not sure I understand the whole ''two upper keel'' thing
    -Once again, not pre-adapted to electric motors..

Veron Areronca champion
    pros:
    -small, simple
    -sheathed with paper or fabric.
    -Could make a fun rubberband-powered straight flyer
    Cons:
    -Semi cantilever spars still have me worried for some reason
    -actually is a rubberband-powered model

So I guess, my questions are:
    How do I adapt these older wood models to modern electric motors?
    Are wing braces just fixated with spars and epoxy glue? if out of piano wire, just glued?
    I can only assume that electric motors cost much less than these minuscule gas engines, but are most of these engines specified in the models still availbale to buy today?
    Are gas engines as capricious as I can assume?

let me know what you think of my favorites-list from aerofred, and any suggestions on how I should go about.
    once again if anybody can refer me to a wood model adapted compartements for electric motor and battery, I'm much obliged.

thanks.

Woody.

PS:
    *the Yokosuka k5y2 is really beautiful and I aspire to make a plane with wire braces like this. Do RC models fold up like the real thing?!*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X