X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Members Presentation Thread

Welcome to the forum.

New forum members, if not registering just to post a plan request must post a few lines about themselves. We want to know what brings you here, please feel free to write a few lines about yourself as a modeller.

Hi I am John Mantova 75 in March been modeling since `1948 or so with the help of dad .I am an all rounder but was out of the game for some time. I am waiting for hip ops hopefully this month .This will allow me to become active again Got lots of types waiting to come out of hibernation Early electric and IC. Might step up to brushless but no Lipos. Too much hassle needed.

Comment

• elkiton
      elkiton commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, 're electric, I made the transition to brushless a year ago for my models up to 60 in, and went 4stroke from .52 to .91 for the bigger stuff, no 2 strokes apart from 1 x 60 ASP but that is like a rottweiler on a lead ! I found Lipo 's no problem once I got a really good charger for them, and only had one go puffy because I stored it fully charged for too long. On a kk super 60 I get 20 mins flying time from one 3 cell x 4,000. I just store them on a concrete floor when not in use, in a rainproof box outside would be ok. I think people do not actually learn about them or continually fast charge them, and maybe buy cheap so that may be where their reputation comes from. I blew up 2 Esc controllers that were relatively cheap, but an expensive one I was recommended to try, in combination with a Hacker motor, is really a dream to use.

Welcome to the forum John

Great modelling and life experience, thanks for sharing.

No reason to be afraid of lipos and brushless motors, they are the best thing that happened to rc modelling since possibly RC itself! I think

Fred

Comment

• COCHISE99
      COCHISE99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fred, I have a copy of the 1946 MODEL ENGINES TEST RESULTS from The Model Craftsman. This effort was originally produced by G. James Alaback. The pages are reasonably clear but I will clean them up as best I can if you think it would be something our group would enjoy reading.

Hi am Tony, I live in North Wales been modeling on and off for many years. now tend to concentrate on RC like building as much as flying.

Comment

Hello Tony, Welcome to the forum!

Fred

Comment

Hello everyone, I am 71 and new to all this forum stuff and not to smart with computers however I will keep on and on until I achieve what I want and hopefully make some friends along the way. I have been modelling since I was 10 started with an IPANA tooth paste chuck glider then towline gliders and rubber powered kits. Got into c/l at 12/13 and had lots of fun. Tried RC and still trying. Retiring soon and going to do more model flying of as many type`s as possible I have purchased plans from Fred and like what he offers. The plan I am looking for now he doe`s not have. It is the " AMY" RC .20-26 44" w/s tailless model designed by Dereck Woodward and was published in the July 1994 edition of Model Aviation.
        Cheer`s everyone, Ian.

Comment

• Fossil
          Fossil commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Old Dicko you can get the "AMY" plan from Sarik Models Plan #RM435.

• ReKit
          ReKit commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Old dicko. I'm guessing I started about the same time as you. I am 65. I started with those old 10 cent chuck Gliders as well. In 1965 all changed. Heathkit was just coming out with their home version of Transmitter/Receiver. A pile of parts and a soldering iron. My first plane was a Circle Flyer. I bought a 34in wingspan biplane from Sterling Models called the Flying Fool. And I bought 2 .35 nitro Redhead McCoy engines from my paper route. Welcome aboard.

Welcome Ian!

Comment

Hi All, I'm 65, started RC with press and hold escapements in the 60s then a long gap to the early 90s and slope soarers in the Peak District. Living in Italy now for some years and looking to fly slope again. Lots of dodgy sites around here so must build cheap and easy to repair!! So much has changed, I need to learn to cut a foam wing for one and I can't believe that I've just bought 6ch Tx/Rx and five servos for about 60eur!

Comment

Welcome Stuart!

Slope flying it´s my favourite.

Fred

Comment

Hi Everyone, I go by the name of Chris HT, I'll be 56 in a couple of months time. I've been modelling on and off since my teens on my own steam. Prior to that, my Dad built a powered trainer (first time for him). His idea was to learn to fly it then teach me ... you can guess who got bored very quickly with that. So in my teens I started out in gliders, free flights and 2 channel RC. Was permanently hooked on gliders when I experienced my first session on a slope (tried a powered model at a flying field, but felt no challenge in it.). Was a staunch sloper up till 6 years ago when I caught up with a flying buddy of mine in days of old. He introduced me to electric( I felt a sense of loss, momentarily, when I heard this leap from sloping) and at the time it blew me away as to how far the tech had come. So I set to work converting one of my experimentals. In the meantime my flying buddy also gifted me a couple of wrecks, some servos and ESC's. Its stilll been a slow return to regular flying and I have just setup a decent dedicated workbench. More repairs and restorations pending .....

Comment

Hello Chris. Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hey everyone! I’ve been on the mailing list for AF for a while and love checking out the new plans. I haven’t taken the leap to balsa building (kit or scratch) yet but I will someday. I got into the hobby by building a few of the Flite Test foam board planes and the rest is history. I have a 3D printer and may someday try one of those planes. I do all sorts of hobby stuff including boats and trucks/cars. Beginner woodworker as well. I may end up using old plans to try a foam/plastic version in a hybrid construction method. Anyway, that’s me. A 40-yo dad who hopes to someday pass on his love for hobbies including RC flight.

Smith H.
                  @smithdoesstuff (Instagram, Twitter and Facebook)

Comment

Welcome Smith and thanks for sharing your story. I´m also very much into 3d printing right now. Very interesting hobby

Comment

Hi everyone, I was involved in RC flying for three years. My skills in building and flying progressed nicely. Divorce ended that, pause for 23 years. I'm back in, I've seen big changes, less building, lots of electric motors. Lately I've almost completed a P-47 scratch build, bought a kit, four short kits, about 10 plans. Ready for the future to keep changing. Love building!

Comment

Hello Ron, Welcome to the forum. I hope you find many interesting builds here, if you need help please post your questions.

Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X