What glue to use and Dope alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What glue to use and Dope alternative

Hi, this is the first time I have written in a forum so I may be writing it in the wrong place.
    I have just started to contemplate making model aircraft after a 50 year hiatus, so there is a lot to learn in a short time (as there is not a lot of time left!). I live in Australia for 6 months and Nepal the rest of the year, and the problems we have in Nepal are that we cannot find balsa or basswood, we don't have good glues and no chance of dope. As far as the wood is concerned I will have to bring it from Australia and the glues too, but not the flammable type. So two questions:
    1. Glue. Polyurethane glues can fly with us in luggage as they are water based, as can titebond (which I use to make my guitars) but are these the best glues to use? I have researched poly glue and the consensus is that it is good for end to end grain gluing, but no better than titebond for side grain gluing. I remember from my youth that there was a volatile wood glue that I used but can't remember the name.
    2. Dope. I read on the net that a viable alternative to shrink tissue paper and coat balsa wood is hairspray. Any thoughts on that? I can get thinners in Nepal but not Nitro cellulose lacquer which I am told is what "dope" is. Hairspray on the other hand is easy to get.
    Looking forward to spending time on this site and hopefully one day making a contribution!
    mauricepaul
    PS, sorry that the photos are guitars but I have no planes to show (yet)
    One of our mango guitars that we make here in Nepal The soundboard is spruce that we bring from Australia. There is nothing suitable in Nepal
Working...
X