For Plans requests please use the Wanted Plans thread.
I've been flying RC for about 10 years with all kinds of planes and have competed in classic pattern for the last 4 years. So I know my way around an airplane. But I'm new to this foamboard building so I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you. I've been asked to run an aeromodeling club for 7th and 8th graders at the school where I work. There will be around 20 of them, and I plan to start them off with simple balsa gliders during this semester and working on the simulator in anticipation for building and flying some foam planes in the spring. I'm thing a profile type fuselage and flat board wing, maybe with some dihedral and a lot of wing area to keep things slow and trainer like. I'll be buddy boxing the kids so there is no worry about safety, but I'd like them to have planes that are docile enough that they can do most of the flying. I'd like to keep the wingspan under a meter and the RTF weight under a pound if possible. A simple build would be great too. So do you guys have a recommendation for me?

Comments

• Hi,

You can build a trainer with depron like if you were building a balsa plane, the wing can be done like a SPAD, flat bottom, spar and top curved over the spar.

fred
  • The old airtonics q-tee makes a great 1/2a trainer,power up to altitude and glide back,it is a great floater and even handles windy days.I have built dozens of them and still enjoy flying them.
  • I used to teach the Boy Scouts the same things. I designed a plan for a simple Balsa, Stick, and silkspan doped Glider. Part of the romance of flying Models is teaching the "Old" School balsa and stick methods the first time I think. My kids loved it. I will try to find that plan or redraw it. But as far as the next step, there is small Bihedral, Low wing.049 Eng, 3 Channel that is called the Pelican (Showing my age). I do have that plane and the plans. Also there are 2 "Stick" style Dihedral high wings under 2 different names (Not the Ugly Sticks) that are really cheap, easy to build, hard to hurt, and easy to repair. They are about 40 inch WS. I believe they both use 10's or 20's for real pep.

The reason I am so vague is I live in a barrier free apartment and my 2nd bedroom is packed full of books, plans, drawing boards, but I can not drive and I am residing 6 miles for now. Looks like I can get back to my Apt 1st or 2nd week of Feb. Then I can get much more info.

I would enjoy staying in touch.

Bill Bailey
    517-990-2787
  • The school wound up making this an every other week affair instead of weekly, so we won't make it to doing RC. The kids have been playing with balsa gliders until now, and we are about to start our final build of a true contest worthy glider to do some competing with.
    Is that your cell, Bill? I don't expect to ever have this group do stick building, but it would be fun to just talk planes.

Paul
  • Hi Paul ...

Yes that is my Cell.

I have taught different groups and it seems that I get the most out of it. Here's an idea. Cessna offers a 1 hour free introduction Flight. You could make this an incentive for better attendance, participation and best overall work. It fired up my groups. Make it a big deal like there is only one to be giving out.
    I always started teaching 2 weeks of basic Aeronautics first, built first Glider(s). I also injected some Rocketry at the beginning for a better understanding of Weight and Balance, and 2 different Basic Flight Types. If they can't name the parts of an aircraft properly, and have some understanding of how they work, they wasted their time.

Best of luck!!

Bill Bailey
    ReKit